Thursday, June 19, 2008

Some Hostility

As some of you followers to the financial world may have noticed this week, there was a bid to buy out my employer, Mentor Graphics, by one of our competitors, Cadence. If you want the details, check here: http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=ment. Obviously it caused quite a stir around here on Tuesday as for most of us it came out of the blue. Long story short, Mentor rejected Cadence's offer but our stock price has been going crazy ever since this news broke. However, there's really no telling at this point what will transpire from here. From what I've read, there are several possible scenario's:

1) The whole thing deal will die and we won't even be talking about it in 6 months.
2) Cadence will attempt a hostile takeover.
3) Cadence may attempt a higher bid, possibly after our 2nd quarter results come out.
4) Synposys, our other competitor, may jump into the fray.

At this point, no one knows and no one can predict. Here is a link to one of the better independent analyses of this deal that I've come across: http://www.eetimes.com/news/design/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=208700171

From a humble employee standpoint, of course I don't want this deal to go through. I'd be out of a job. Cadence isn't going to need 2 teams of financial analysts. I'm not panicing either though. No one knows what's going to happen (not that I would post it in a blog if I did). This is my first taste of being on this side of this sort of deal, as opposed to being a shareholder in the PML deal. On one hand its fascinating following the progress of what's happening, listening to the speculation, and reading what all the different analysts have to say. On the other hand, it'd be nice if it all went away. That's life in corporate America though. Regardless, I'm going to keep working along, occasionally checking the financial news to see if any other shoes are dropping.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rick Merrit's analysis is laughable. His concern regarding product overlap shows a sad lack of business savvy. Rick, let me introduce you to a little concept I like to call "branding". It's that magical concept that allows Ford and Mercury to exist on the same planet.

The real question isn't about current products, but what will the combined companies be able to offer the marketplace that they haven't been able to offer individually? Improved efficiencies? Economies of scale?

Normally I don't comment on blogs filled primarily with family oriented content, but that Rick Merrit really burns me up!

Anonymous said...

Alan Greenspan is still living? He sounds like a pompous twit.