Sunday, September 12, 2010

Cruz vs. Wild

So we didn't have the most exciting Labor Day weekend. I was getting over a bug of some sort so the weekend was spent watching a lot of college football. By Monday though, we were all up and ready to get out of the house. I had a great lunch/shopping/movie date with Mom. We went to see Eat Pray Love which was good but definitely long. Consume fluids accordingly.

While I was off with Mom, Luis took the kids to a farm out on Sauvie's Island. They got to pick some fresh fruit and veggies, plus explore the farm.
Not sure these are quite Little House on the Prairie clothes but close enough.
The kids picking something or other...
Raspberries for the kids.
Tuesday was the first day of school for my little first grader. He kindly gave me permission to walk him into his classroom on the first day. After that I was relegated to dropping him off at the curb. So far he's liking school. His teacher is "nice" and he has all of his friends from last year in class.
Yesterday Mason and I went for a walk at one of his favorite place - "the Paths". It's actually Elk Rock just up the street from our house and is basically an island accessable by a natural land bridge. Since it's on the river, you can't get there in winter and spring generally but it's no problem by late summer.
Here's Mason on the land bridge with the island behind him to the right.
Mason on the paths. There are lots of trails and places to explore.
Mason checking out the view of the river.
Mason on the land bridge. It's pretty dry this time of year.
Today was the Warrior Dash! Without a doubt, this is the crazies race I've ever done. Here's a link to the route and obstacles. http://www.warriordash.com/register2010_northwest.php
Luis and the kids joined me in North Plains for the event. The kids got a little warrior paint.
Siena before the race started.
Me and Angie - Angie is my fitness instructor at Mentor. As you can see, she's finished with the race. My heat was an hour after hers - hence the dirty and the clean.
At the starting line, getting ready to roll.
One of the few obstacles that you can see when not actually on the course. This was right after the jump in the pond and scramble over wet, rolling logs.
No, that's not me but that is one of the crazier obstacles. I took these at a flying leap. This is not one where you want to mess up and bite it.
The final obstacle at the end of the 3+ mile course - under barbed wire through mud. Then slide down the muddy hill to the finish line.
Off to the finish - muddy legs and all.
At the finish line. Happy to be done but it was sooooo much fun. This is my kinda race. Forget this jogging on the road business. Okay, well, I still may do a few of those. This was much more fun though.
And then the clean up in the muddy pond. Cold muddy pond.
And what do I have to show for my efforts? Aside from a couple of bruised knees earned scrambling over a cargo net bridge...
I may wear the helmet to work tomorrow. And never have I had a race number in such a beat up shape.
The race apparently wore Siena out. Note the drool coming out of her mouth.

1 comment:

cousin Craig said...

You looked like you were having fun. It didn't look like it was fun, but it looked like you were having fun. Do you see where I'm going with this?