Sunday, October 25, 2009

Caution: Blog Under Quarantine

Reading this week's blog may be harmful to your health.
In which case you can be like Luis, Mason, and I. Luis was first. He came down with the flu last Monday afternoon. I was a couple days later on Wednesday afternoon. Mason got it a day later. Siena has some sort of steel immune system and still has no symptoms. Therefore she's the only one of us with any sort of a social life this weekend.
I don't know for sure whether we have the official swine flu or not. You have to be tested for that. Based on what I've seen on the news and in reports, doctors offices and clinics have seen enough of people turning up with the flu. None of us are in the high risk category and weren't showing any of the warning symptoms, so we stayed home on the couch.
I haven't had the flu in years and now I'm grateful for it. Its not the worst thing in the world but it lasts for so many days and is relentless. Today, after a rough night with Mason (related to a bad dream, not the flu), 5 days of the flu, and 4 days without leaving the house, I'm feeling pretty down in the dumps. That's easy to do when you're tired and sick and done with being tired and sick. Time to start feeling sorry for myself though before this becomes the sob blog.
We got tickets to Disney on Ice to take Siena as part of her birthday gift. However, because all of us except for Siena had cooties, we really couldn't take her. Don't think this didn't send me to the depths of despair...luckily Gloria was able to take Siena along with Joel and Tristyn. I'm truely glad they got to enjoy the show. I'm just sad that I wasn't able to experience it with the kids. It was to be our first such show.
Gloria took our camera though and took some pictures for the blog.
Siena and Tristyn were entranced by the Disney spectacle before them. Siena got to meet her idols, the princesses, before the show started.




Meanwhile, back on the couch, the movie review is back. I'll spare you reviews of the daytime movies that we watched to kill time but for the fun of it, here's what I watched: Save the Last Dance, Better off Dead, Million Dollar Baby, The Great Outdoors, Sandlot, Rescuers Down Under (can you tell that the second half was Friday when Mason was home too), Kung Fu Panda, and lots and lots of American Chopper aka "motorcycle show".
Luis and I also watched Changeling. Apologies for the fact that the best picture of the poster I could find was the French poster. I know, if I had the energy to devote another 2 minutes to looking I could have found the American poster but tough. I've got the flu.
I'm a little predisposed to going into Angelina Jolie movies skeptically, what with the whole Brangelina innundation we've been subjected to the last few years. That and my general grumpiness when sick. However, this was an incredible story and well told. The movie was based on a true story of kidnapping and police corruption to the most unbelieveable degree. Had this not been a true story, it would be unbelieveable. Jolie was really good in this and Malkovich as well played a different type of character than he usually does. This movie rates a very high A-.

2 comments:

cousin Craig said...

Did you see you can win a big Illinois vacation?! It's an add to the left of the blog. Not quite as exciting for me, but a huge win for everyone else.

cousin Craig said...

Now that your sick does that mean you can stop eating garlic?