Sunday, August 2, 2009

Back to the Beach!

Temperatures this week were through the roof. According to the news this weekend, the Portland area set a record for days straight over 90 degrees - 9. 90 degrees is fine. Its the 109 degree days we had during the middle of last week that were MISERABLE. And we have AC. Unfortunately, for whatever reason, our house doesn't totally cool down. Due to the upstairs being in the upper 90's most of the week, I spent the week sleeping in the den which was at least 5 degrees cooler than the upstairs. Hey, when you're desperate, every little bit helps.

So, like most Portlanders, we headed to the much cooler and pleasant Oregon Coast (aka Yaya's beachhouse).

The high in Lincoln City was 70 and it was fabulous! And I'm continuing to play with the color settings. Get used to it.

Here's the Bubba playing on the beach!
And Miss Siena. These kids LOVE the beach!
They're even brave enough to test the cold ocean water.
Siena likes filling up her watering can and watering the sand...
Yup, that's cold water!
My climber boy! This time on a log.
Mason had a jolly time burying my legs in sand.
And we built a sandcastle!
There was a sandcastle contest being held along our beach... A prize for anyone that can guess which one is ours:







After a visit to Lincoln City's farmer's market, which consisted of about 4 tents (is that really enough to constitute a farmer's market?!?) and a couple pints of blueberries (our favorite), we headed south to Newport. Newport is home to my favorite brewery and one of our family's favorite restaurants...Rogue. Here's the boys at the brewery restaurant. Note the light fixures made out of beer kegs in the background...
A girl and her Shakespeare stout...my all time favorite beer. Isn't it beautiful?!?
Not that I'm biased or anything (yeah right) but my kids have become pretty darn good colorers. Here are the pictures they did at Rogue. And all were done with zero help from anyone!
Yup, my kids are gifted.Most people who know me know that I'm not exactly a flower person. However, at breakfast at our favorite breakfast joint, The Spouting Horn, I spotted a nice centerpiece and got a nice shot which I will happily show off...is noticing flowers a sign that Yaya is finally rubbing off on me???
It was a really fun weekend at the coast. We're back home now and though its 90 degrees, its at least cooler than last week. Back to the daily grind tomorrow.
Luis reminded me last night that I haven't done a movie review in a while. Mainly that's because we've been so busy that the blog has been superlong even without it. Regardless, here's a quicky review:
"W" - This was good. Entertaining. Course, I hated "W" going into this movie and since this film reinforced that impression, I was on board. Recommended.
"Journey to the Center of the Earth" - Luis liked it. I thought it was a bit cheesy but watchable. I doubt I'd watch it again. Not remotely believeable. The effects are good but overall this film was not particularly memorable.
"Get Smart" - Loved it, loved it, loved it! Who woulda thought. I liked the show as a kid (on rerun of course, I'm not that old) but the movie was a blast. Fast paced, entertaining, smart, and well played. Two big thumbs up!

1 comment:

cousin Craig said...

Is there really a prize if I guess the right sand castle or is that just lies?