Sunday, November 9, 2008

Its a Harvest!

The occasion was Jocelyn's first birthday. It was a harvest party with costumes encouraged. Luis and I wore our John and Yoko costumes long enough the week before to know how bad the wigs itched so only Mason and Siena joined in the costume spirit for our clan.

Miss Jocelyn was in the spirit though - with her ballerina tutu. She isn't walking yet but she doesn't need to. She gets everywhere she needs to go on her knees. If only we would have known that all the girl needed was some knee pads for her birthday...I'm thinking the thick volleyball variety.
Uncle Bruce was certainly in the spirit. I'm not sure what you'd call this costume. Something along the lines of surgeon wrestles with fisherman.
Here's Shelley holding Jocelyn...I'm hearing the biological clock ticking...tic toc, tic toc...
Berren was adorable as a candy corn. And his costume made me hungary.
Dan gets the prize for most creative costume: Wall Street banker. He's showing off his government subsidies.
Bruce and Mary Lou deliver the all important directions on how to procure dinner. I'm not sure exactly what Mary Lou's costume was. Something along the lines of Anne of Green Gables meets Maria von Trapp.
No, these aren't piles from the kids' diapers. I can see where the confusion would come in. Actually they are black bean and squash patties. Chandra made them and they are served with a sour cream based sauce. Once you get past the initial appearance, they are soooooo good. And we were all regular for the next 3 days...
Aaaahhh, the three pianists. Their cd will be released later in the year. Billy Joel has nothing on these kids.
Heidi the Terrible!
No explanation required.
This is where we put naughty little Daisy Ducks!
Doh! Daisy escaped! Now Handy Manny is under lock and key while the Tinkerbell damsel tries to rescue him!
Heidi thinks she has everything under control with the kids. Its a valiant effort at least.
I don't even know what to say about this. Nice hat?
Or this. It should be clear to all though that these two are siblings...
Daisy Duck commandeered Jocelyn's new toy bus. The fact that it was still in the box didn't deter her.
And Mason has tissue paper in ears. If the mechanic thing doesn't work out, perhaps stand-up comedy will.
It was a nice party. It took place after I had already updated the blog last weekend, hence the week late posting on this event.
It's quarter end at work so I spent the better part of the week staring at spreadsheets on a computer screen. My viewing of Tuesday's election coverage consisted of a MSNBC pop-up red and blue map of the US, with the states turning colors as results were called. I got home in time to see McCain's concession speech. I was excited by the results and am looking forward to seeing what the next 4 years will bring.
Last night I went to a small party to help raise some money for my grade-school friend Jill Neary. Jill overcame brain cancer about 5 years ago but and a recurrance this August. She has had successful surgery and has undergone chemo and the prognosis is good. However, she hasn't been able to work for the last few months while receiving treatment so the gathering was to raise some funds to help her out.
I haven't seen Jill since high school but there's something about the friends you grow up with that will always have a special place in my memory.
Here's a picture of Jill from our 9th grade yearbook. Its pretty indicative of how I remember her personality.

The party was hosted by another friend of mine from grade school and high school, Becca Sanborn. It was great to see Becca again as well as chatting with a number of other old friends and classmates that I hadn't seen in years.
I didn't get home until about 11:30 had to be up and out of the house this morning in time to take Mason to his 9:20 soccer game so I'm a bit tired now. Oh well, it was worth it.
On another note, if anyone has suggestions for how to convince Mason to do is #2 in the toilet rather than a diaper, please leave a comment below. I'm out of ideas myself after trying bribery, peer pressure, encouragement, etc. The kid is stubborn.
















1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My mom used to "accidently" jab me with safety pins during the diaper change process. That's a real motivator. I was asking her about diaper free options for my potty going needs, and was thankful when the pin jab thing was over.

You're the one who asked for advice I'm just telling you what works. Me and Carrie were using a toilet pretty quickly thanks to the pin jab technique.

This idea only seems wrong because of how it's worded.