Sunday, November 23, 2008

Eating Our Curds and...Curds.

Luis and the kids were getting cabin fever and I'm up for an adventure so we went to the beach this weekend.

Going to the beach has always been a big part of my family. I would go with my parents a few times a year growing up, often staying at the Nordic motel in Lincoln City. When I was in high school, they bought a beach house at Lincoln Beach south of Lincoln City which was a lot of fun. A little over a year ago, they bought a condo in Taft by Mo's also south of Lincoln City. We mooch a few times a year and go stay there. We'd definitly go more often, but you've seen this blog. We're busy people.

On the way down yesterday, we made a detour up to Tillamook to pay homage to the Tillamook Cheese Factory. They make a darn good cheddar and exceptional ice cream. We partook in both.

First, there was lunch though. Despite her tasty popcorn chicken, Siena most enjoyed my pickle.
There is no wrong way to eat a corn dog. Here is Mason's way...you nibble all the corn off the dog...
And leave the remainder of the dog for Dad.
Then we went on the tour!
The kids liked the tour too. Its fun to watch the production in progress.
When we got into Lincoln City, we stopped by Safeway for the Cruz family staples - apple juice and milk. Luis is taking a detour that Mason disagrees with. It should also be noted that the apple juice met a sad fate upon arrival at the condo. Someone, not to name names (Luis), put it too far back in the car and it took a suicidal leap when I opened the hatch. Yes, we bought more.
We had breakfast this morning at our favorite beach breakfast haunt - the Spouting Horn. This restaurant overlooks the bay in Depot Bay. They were a little short staffed this morning so Mason and I had to keep ourselves entertained.
Once the food came, the eating was good. Especially the oranges for Siena.
Then we went to the Evergreen Museum in McMinnville - home of the Spruce Goose. If there is anyone unfamiliar with the Spruce Goose, go watch the Aviator. The kids are inside the Spruce Goose in this picture. Unfortunately due to the plexiglass they are in front of, its hard to see how big it is but trust me, this airplane is HUGE!
This was Siena's favorite airplane at the museum. She didn't say why but I'm guessing the bright colors have something to do with it. Mason and Siena also took home airplane souveniers that look like this plane. Siena's is already broken.
There was a hands-on kids area at the museum which was Mason and Siena's favorite part. I didn't think I'd see Mason flying an airplane quite this soon.
That's a lot of switches but Mason seems in control.
Yup, he can fly a helicopter too!
Did I mention I have three children?!?
My studious little boy. And I liked these old wooden planes.
Recently the museum added another building which is the aerospace portion of their displays. It has some big toys in it...
Siena learned all about lunar landings.
Outside the space museum was an awesome playground. In case we hadn't worn out the kids in the 2 museums, the playground was bound to do the trick.
She climbs.
I can't let this post end this week without saying a big HAPPY BIRTHDAY YAYA!!!!!!!!
P.S. - I've heard of contractions Papa Ron. When I'm retired like you, I might actually have time to proof read and ensure their proper use. Until then, I'm busy doing actual ACCOUNTING work, and this is as good as its going to get. :-)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Do they still have lots of cheese samples at the end of the tour? Somehow the cheese tasted better at the factory. Maybe because it was free.