Sunday, December 4, 2011

The One About the Garbage Disposal

I ordered a new camera last week but it has yet to arrive.  However, since I am flying to San Francisco next Sunday and figured I wouldn't be blogging then, I didn't want two weeks to pass blogless.  My 2 followers might give up on me.

Finally, after months of semi churned soggy food floating in our food like a half digested mishmash of Cheerio's and jello mold, my nagging has paid off and Luis came home with a new disposal.

I'm sure many, if not all, of my readers are unaware of the humble origins of the garbage disposal.  It was invented in 1927 by John Hammes of Racine, Wisconsin.  After 11 years of toiling, his InSinkErator was introduced to the market.  That is the very disposal the Cruzes invested in and the good people of Racine couldn't be more proud.

It's worth noting that while 50% of U.S. homes have a garbage disposal, only 6% of homes in the U.K. are such equipped.  Either we waste a lot of food and they clean their plates or they're too distracted by tea and soccer to notice.

The garbage disposal installation would not have been possible without the assistance of one Papa Ron who was banished to our house this afternoon due to a ladies luncheon my mom was hosting at her house for her Battle Ground friends.  Not to worry, we repaid him with a big dinner at Busters.

No comments: