Sunday, August 7, 2011

Millie's Letter

This letter was recently found tucked up in a drawer of an old piece of furniture that my parents had given to my cousin Suzy.  I got a great deal of enjoyment out of reading the letter and thought I'd share it. 

This was written by my grandmother Millie in 1939 to her sister Hannah.  Millie was in Roslyn, where she had grown up, at the time and was around age 19.  Hannah was attending Walla Walla College.

I'm typing this letter exactly as it is written.

Roslyn Washington
June 28, 1939

Dear Hannah,

Thank you so much for your letter.  It came a day late.  Tell me, are you in love?  Or did you just forget to stamp it too?

It's so hot here.  I guess it's about half as hot down there in that bake oven, isn't it?  Mamma said that if you think you'll be too tired at the end of a quarter, you'd better quit now at the half.  It would be a lot better than to ruin your health? Don't you think so?

Next week I guess will be camping.  We'll have to go camping when you come home.  That'd be fun, huh?

Well, papa got his teeth.  He doesn't even look the same.  You'll sure be surprised when you see him.  He's having quite a time with them but I guess they'll be better once he can navigate them around.  We hope so, anyway.

So your beau is 25 yrs old?  You should have sent him a cake with candles on it.  Bet he'd have liked that.  Hope he comes down there for the fourth so you'll have some entertainment.  Anyway, will be thinking of you.

The mines are working fair.  Not less than two days, so that's not too bad.  Clarence gets an extra one each week.

I was just interrupted by a knock on the door.  A nice young man said "I'm fron Davises' and I came to check up on the Hoovers!"  I was going to say "I haven't seen him for sometime" but it struck me that he was talking about vacuum cleaners.  Oh, well.  I guess it's all in living.

I'm reading "Gone With the Wind".  I have 900 more pages left.  That book, it just wears me out packing it around.  I just got it last night.

Old Mrs. Momb (Mum) to hou was buried Friday.  One notice down town said 1 o clock, the other said two.  Mom & Mrs. Toche said they'd go to the funeral - and when they got to the church, the funeral was over.  They said that was the first funeral they'd ever been late too.  I guess the undertaker went by the 1 o'clock sign.  Mom & Toche went by the 2 o'clock one.

We are going down to see Inez's baby today.  She came home from Dallas yesterday.

Dale had his curls cut off and he is strictly a boy now.

Flora moved again yesterday.  She is living in the middle house of those 3-alike below our church.  They had to move out of that other one because the owner wouldn't pay the water for the past 16 months and it was going to be shut off the first of July.  Helen kept the baby up here all day yesterday.  It sure has grown since she put it on the bottle.  And it's a lot better natured, too.

Why I didn't go to Dorcus was because of a surprise party on Mrs. Bergman.  I'll explain when you come home.  It definitely was not L-O-V-E.  I couldn't do justice in explaining it on paper. 

Can't you make any phonograph records to bring home.  I would like to hear you on one of them.

The town is dead as usual.  The only thing that is happening is that Druids' Hall is being torn down.  Pretty soon Roslyn will just be empty lots.  I guess Marco bought it so he could use the lumber for his new (?) house. 

Tootsie got a permanent.

Guess I'll close now.  Did you ever see such a messy letter in all your days?

For further news read the Miner.

Paster Anderson (Big Anderson) just called on Mom.  I guess he thinks she is straying from the flock.  She hasn't gone to his meetings for a coon's age.

Write soon,
Love,
Mildred

7 comments:

chelsey said...

Thank you for posting this. I feel like it's the first glimpse at Grandma Millie's voice I've ever had.

Mary Lou said...

Wow! Thanks for sharing, Kris. I loved reading what my mom was like at age 19, in 1939, just months before Pearl Harbor. It does round out what I have been coming to think as I get older--that both Joanne and Ron have much more of their mother in them than we have been told--and I am referring to all the "good parts". I think she must have sparkled in social settings; she seems to have had a lot of wit and zest for life in every detail.

Her statements about Roslyn and the mines are interesting, too. And who was this mysterious man in Hannah's life at that time?

I miss them.

Papa Ron said...

To insert a few more background details: Aunt Hannah began at Walla Walla College in the fall of 1934 working towards her normal certificate. [As I understand it, this was basically a teaching certificate, and prospective teachers attended normal schools, set up to establish teaching 'norms', hence 'normal' school.] She began teaching at a one-room grade school in about 1937 and attended WWC in the summers of 1938-39-40 to complete her degree. I don't know who the mysterious man at WWC was, but she dated a man named Hoover while she was teaching at Tonasket in the late 1930s.

Millie would go on to enroll at WWC in the fall of 1939 and attend off and on through 1942. She majored in secretarial science.

Isn't it sad that no one writes letters anymore.

Mary Lou said...

You used to write to me, Ron. They were some of my favorite letters--back in the days when we were motherless children. Do you think anyone will archive our children's texts and tweets and posts and emails for their grandchildren to discover?

Darell said...

Thanks for leading me here to this very interesting site.
Brother in Christ
Darell

Anonymous said...

OK, so cousin David filled in a few things about this letter on my FB page. His mom, Hannah, was dating a guy, last name Sears; he might have been one of the mystery men. Tootsie (with the perm) is married to Clarence's best friend Harry Georgeson. Dave just saw them over Memorial Day; said her perm still looked fine. Dale whose curls got chopped off is the son of the next-door neighbors, Ed & Helen Brock. I stopped by with Uncle Clarence to see Ed Brock in Tacoma shortly before Clarence came to live with us in Moscow. Regarding my mother saying, "It definitely was not L-O-V-E"--I am thinking that at age 19 1/2 she had possibly already been one year at college, and she dated Clark Lamberton while at WWC, but I do not know if she was referring to him.

Mary Lou said...

"Anonymous" would be me, Mary Lou.