Sunday, June 6, 2010

We LOVE the 80's

This weekend we celebrated my Aunt Annette's 80th Birthday. In case any of my few followers are unaware, Annette is the oldest of my mom's siblings and her only sister.
This picture was from Annette and Walt's honeymoon. I'd call it a classic.
Part 1 of the celebration was Saturday afternoon at my parent's house. After spending 2 hours in the car to get there courtesy of construction on the bridge, we finally arrived. And speaking of arrivals, baby Maiya arrived 3 weeks ago making my cousin Brian a grandpa. The sun also made a rare appearance on Saturday.
Denise and mom. Denise came out from Michigan for the occasion.
Who's that? Oh, it's miss Siena.
Yaya had some sort of garbage mishap...
Jason (Denise's son) and Deb. Deb and Lucinda came up from California for the 80th celebration.
My cousin Betty and her significant other Jay.
There's the birthday girl!
Yaya and her 2 favorite kids. Oh, and the 2 favorite kids had their share of sugar at this celebration.
From left, Roger, Walt, and Dad. Roger is my cousin Judy's husband. Due to a meniscus repair on her knee Judy couldn't make it down from Orcas Island where they live. It was good to see Roger though.
Siena certainly at home at Yaya's. She has her room (Papa Ron's library) and all of her special toys that reside at Yaya's.
Who's the Bubba!
Fast forward to Sunday morning. After getting home at around 9, and me having a second dinner (boo to eating dinner at 4 PM), we hopped into bed only to hop back out of bed the next morning and head down the highway to Cascade Locks. This is the part of the birthday celebration that Annette didn't know about ahead of time. Lucinda and Denise told her last night that they'd be taking her to breakfast. What they didn't mention was that breakfast would be here:
Speaking of the surprised birthday girl...
And making their fashionably late entrance...
Big hugs for Yaya from the kids. It had been such a long time since they all saw each other after all.
You'll notice the plethora of rain coats. Yup, after one day of sun our usual rain came back. In a bit of a post group photo mishap, Deb was the one left red handed...
We had brunch on the Sternwheeler. It was very good - eggs benedict, pastries, fruit, bacon...and dessert. Yummy!
Not only was Annette not expecting this boat breakfast, I don't think she was expecting this many family members to come. From left: Walt, Annette, Leonard (mom's brother), Denise (the sleeve of purple), Jason (Denise's son), and Deb.
More of the breakfast gang...from left: Lucinda, Brian, Debbie, Lucie, and Ron (mom's brother).
We actually took up 2 tables there were so many of us!
Mason and Siena got to go into the captain's cabin and steer the ship! That was a HUGE treat for them! They were so excited.
The captain also let each of the kids toot the horn.
See, there really is a wheel!
Did I mention the rain was back today? Soggy Mason, not that he minded one bit.
We may be at brunch, but that's no reason to not bring along some strawberry powder to make strawberry milk!
I tried and tried to get a decent picture of Walt and Annette on the boat. This was the best I could do. It was cloudy and rainy, but there were still some impressive sites: the Bridge of the Gods.
And 2 wet kids.
Some ladies of the ship - Deb, Denise, mom , Annette, me, and Lucinda.
We passed many of these fishing areas where natives are still fishing in the Colombia. Most of these look about ready to collapse under an adult's weight. However, it seems that there is plenty of fish catching still going on.
Niece and Auntie - Denise and Jan.
These kids were all over the Sternwheeler.
Denise is so good with the kids. Here she is with Mason.
80th Birthday M&M's with Annette's picture on them. Awesome! I'm not so sure it's right for me to eat them though.
And the strawberry milk queen!
Skipper Mason!
The birthday buddies!
Siena through a port hole. Luis was convinced I was going to lose the camera getting this shot.
Back home, I figured if I waited for the rain to stop, I would never get the weeds pulled so I got to work. Here's proof of my commitment to improving the world by eradicating unwanted foliage.
We all got cleaned up after weeding. Mason did his own hair which he called "rock star". Rock on son, rock on.

No comments: