Sunday, November 15, 2009

700 at $7

I know this is repetitive for those of you I already sent this message to via Facebook. However, I think it is an important enough message to repeat in order to ensure that I can reach as many people as possible. Many thanks to those who have already made a donation or have committed to making a donation. It truly will make a difference in someone's life.
________________________________________________________________





As some of you know, I am an avid reader, particularly of Ann Rule. It was in the course of reading her nonfiction true crime novels that I really became introduced to the issues of domestic assault and sexual violence. These are everyday people like you and me who found themselves in horrible circumstances that they didn't know how to get out of. The problem of domestic assault and sexual violence struck such a chord with me that I knew I had to get involved somehow. That's why 3 and a half years ago I joined the board of Portland Women's Crisis Line. Never in my life have I been surrounded by a group of people more dedicated to a cause and been so inspired by stories I've heard.

Just this week my hometown of Tualatin was struck by a domestic violence trajedy when Teresa Marie Beiser was killed yesterday by her husband. She had filed for divorce just last week and had two teenage children. Unfortunately its only when horrible things like this happen does this issue receive attention.

This issue is blind to gender, economic group, ethnic, and religious groups. I can guarantee that everyone knows someone who has experienced either domestic assault or sexual violence first hand. This isn't something that is going away. In fact, in hard economic times especially, it is getting worse.

Portland Women's Crisis Line is the oldest agency of its kind in Portland and one of the first five rape relief hotlines in the United States. As a way to strengthen our services and be a more financially stable organization, we've launched our first-ever annual campaign, 700 @ $7.

Each call to our crisis line costs PWCL $7, and we're recruiting 700 individuals to pledge $7 a month (or $84 a year) to help meet this cost. When we reach our goal, we'll have covered the cost of 8,400 calls, which is just about a third of the 26,000 calls that we answer each year. $7 is about the cost of two lattes these days, and sharing that with PWCL will ensure that survivors of domestic and sexual violence will have continuous access to expert information on safety planning, emergency housing resources and much needed support and compassion. Gifts of any amount to PWCL are completely tax deductable.

Signing up for the campaign is easy - just visit http://pwcl.org/donate/be-a-700-7-donor/ to get your pledge started. If you'd rather not sign up online but are interested, please let me know and I'd be happy to send you an envelope instead. It's my goal to personally sign up 15 people, and I need 10 more to meet my goal. Please, consider being part of a community that believes that everyone has the right to live a life free of domestic and sexual violence.

I would also like to add that I would love for you do donate funds to PWCL this year in lieu of a Christmas gift for me. Seeing this organization continue to do what it does would be the best gift I could ever receive.

Many thanks,
Kris

No comments: