Sunday, June 21, 2009

Ten Lessions I Learned from Papa Ron

What with it being Father's day and all, I got to thinking that a lot of who I am today is directly attributable to Papa Ron. Therefore, in addition to the Soprano's Season 2 DVD's we got for him, here are the top 10 things I have learned from my dad.

1)How to properly wash a car. Yes, it takes an entire day, involves various clothes, brushes, cream, and waxes. This needs to be done annually.
2) Music. Everything I love and appreciate about music I got from my dad from knowledge of the oldies to that first Mary Chapin Carpenter concert that he took me to. Papa Ron taught me that music was more than background noise but something that can become a significant part of your life.
3) The joys of reading. And thank goodness he has an endless library for me to pilfer from.
4) The Blazers are the best pro team ever! Dad not only took me to games back at the Schnitz to see them on the big screen (and bought me a 3 Musketeers) but took me to many games in the old Coliseum, to Blazers banquets so i could meet the players, and we watched many many games together on tv.
5) How to be a hard worker and a good employee.
6) No matter how busy you may be with your job and career (like managing a publicly traded company), you can still find time to go to your kids sports games. I don't recall him missing very many.
7) How to drive a stick shift.
8) No matter your own personal religious and political beliefs, don't force them on your kids. Let them have their own experiences and decide for themselves what to believe.
9) Its never too late in life to pursue your passions, be it cooking, working on cars, etc.
10) Make sure to listen to your elder relatives tell their stories. They are often more interesting than fiction. Also document your own experiences. Your life may seem boring to you, but someone down the line will be thrilled to hear the story - good and bad.
A few bonuses would be the joys of pressure washing and that it is truly possible to have the same hair style for 40 years.
________________________________________________

To celebrate Father's day, we first had breakfast at Jose and Gloria's house.
I became a human jungle gym.
Luis tried out his father's day gift to his dad.
The kids tried it out too.
And then there was the food. Here's Joel eating the bacon. Note the paper towel pieces stuck to the bacon. This is from when it was microwaved. Yes, that's right. I said microwaved. Joel can't even look...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Weekly movie reviews:
Benjamin Button. What a curious case. What a curious movie. Even after watching the 3 hours that was this movie, I as still curious. This is because NO ONE in this entire movie seemed fazed by the fact that this guy was getting younger. In the real world, Button would have been a circus side show at the very least. The medical profession would be clamoring over themselves to understand this guy and yet, there is none of that in this film. Its just a nice little story where the hero happens to get young. Don't even get me started on the fact that he shrinks down to baby size at the end (oh, spoiler alert). The story itself is fine but puhleeze, acknowledge this guys medical condition for goodness sakes.
Tom Cruise. Valkyrie. I was prepared to not really like this movie but was very pleasantly surprised. It was a look at WWII that hasn't been told before. I'll admit that I was distracted at Cruise in the lead role a bit - its hard to not look at him and think TomKat; crazy scientologist; alien worshiper; most famous guy on the planet - and instead focus on his character. For his part, he did a great job. It's just a little distracting seeing him in any role these days. Regardless, this is a great movie and I would recommend it.

No comments: